[Belgium] Hosting of web site foss4g.be [was Re: Minutes of the 2015-06-05 meeting and revised version of the call for sponsors]

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Jun 10 02:53:16 PDT 2015

On 10/06/15 10:38, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
>>> Thanks, Marc !
>>>
>>> My proposal concerning an email address also raises the question of
>>> hosting of the website and possible email addresses.
>>>
>>> We did not really speak about this, but even in the unlikely situation
>>> that OSGeo does not accept our chapter, I guess we will still organise
>>> the event, and so we can go ahead with arranging hosting of the web
>>> site, or ?
>>>
>>> One place, in line with OSGeo ideas, would be Domaine public [1]. See
>>> [2] for the technical specifications. Even a minimal account (cf towards
>>> the bottom of the page) would probably be enough for our purposes.
>
> foss4g.be is currently registered at gandi.net .

gandi.net is perfectly in line with our ideas as well.

> I can add
> mailforwarding (1000 adresses) and up to five mailboxes if needed
> without a fee. I can give others access if needed.
>
> I can also add an mx record to forward to dirks mailserver (or any
> other). For the website, I would check with the webmaster - probably
> he can host it. If needed, I have a server which we could use.

You mean the gandi webmaster ?

I'm willing to pitch in some starting money for getting the hosting
going. But we would need someone to take care of this.

I have no opinion about whether it should be hosted on a paid hosting
server or on any of your servers. It's just a question of how much work
we are willing to put into web server maintenance in the long run.

AFAIK, the OSGeo experience is not great in terms of self-organised
servers as VMs, so maybe going through a hosting service that provides
all the necessary updates, might be a better solution, unless you go
through these updates yourselves anyhow.

Moritz