[Benchmarking] First pair of load scripts and some considerations

Shanmugam Ganeshkumar shanmugamg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 22:29:24 EDT 2009

Andrea,
I dont have any experince with python, well when I execute the script in
windows OS, this is what I get. installed, python 3.1.1.

C:\Python31>wms_request.py -count 2000 -region -180 -90 180 90 -minres
0.0042 -maxres 0.5 > bluemarble.csv
  File "C:\Python31\wms_request.py", line 37
    print 'Usage: wms_request.py [-count n] [-region minx miny maxx maxy]'
                                                                         ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

C:\Python31>python wms_request.py -count 2000 -region -180 -90 180 90
-minres 0.0042 -maxres 0.5 > bluemarble.csv
  File "wms_request.py", line 37
    print 'Usage: wms_request.py [-count n] [-region minx miny maxx maxy]'
                                                                         ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

let me know if you can help, else just ignore. Not that important.

Thanks
ganesh

2009/9/2 Andrea Aime <aaime at opengeo.org>

> Shanmugam Ganeshkumar ha scritto:
>
>> HI Andrea,
>>
>> I have been playing around with your jmeter script with csv file. Tested
>> with some WMS engines (GeoServer and a commercial) and it works well.
>>

> Mind, GeoServer out of the box won't perform that well, some tuning is
> needed.
>
>  It will be a good idea to test with fixed tiles apart from random; I would
>> suggest;
>>
>> Fixed tile size, Random BBox, Bluemarble Image (better to fix the bbox
>> limit to -178, 178, -88, 88)
>>
>> 128x128 - smart phone clients
>> 256x256 - typical tile size (if requested as tiles)
>> 800 x 600 - standard map window for a 1024x768 screen
>> Can you generate the three CSV files and post it over here? (it will be
>> nice to have 5000 samples)
>>

> Just grab the tool I attached in the first mail of this thread,
> you'll be able to make it generate whatever csv you need and
> find tune other parameters as well such as the map area.
> You can find some usage instructions in the thread titled
> "Chat about the load testing setup".
>
> As for the test, not sure we can make this many runs, in the
> end we need to stick everything in a 20 minutes presentation
> (which is more than just shooting at the audience comparison
> charts, we'll also need to make some HP on why the results
> are different).
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
> --