[Benchmarking] JMeter problems on 1cpu benchmarking server.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 16 12:42:55 EDT 2009

Folks,

Following up on Andrea's JMeter and summarize script email, I have given it
a spin.  However, I'm running into problems on the 1 cpu benchmarking server
which we were planning to use for JMeter.

in /opt/msmaps:

[fwarmerdam at localhost msmaps]$ cat ecw.sh
#!/bin/bash
jmeter -p jmeter.properties -n -t ecw.xml  -l out.jtl  -Djava.awt.headless=true
[fwarmerdam at localhost msmaps]$ ./ecw.sh
An error occurred:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which
requires it.
[fwarmerdam at localhost msmaps]$ tail jmeter.log
         at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:163)
         at org.apache.jmeter.gui.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:131)
         at org.apache.jmeter.JMeter.startGui(JMeter.java:223)
         at org.apache.jmeter.JMeter.start(JMeter.java:343)
         at
         at
         at org.apache.jmeter.NewDriver.main(NewDriver.java:207)

My understanding from Andrea and a web search is that the
java.awt.headless=true should have run things without needing an X11
connection but it does not seem to work.

I tried enabling x11 forwarding on my connection and things do sort of start
but the latency (likely mostly at my end) is so bad I never got a proper
application refresh much less something useful.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,