[OSGeo-Board] Members, roles, contacts

Daniel Brookshier dbrookshier at collab.net
Wed Apr 12 09:15:14 PDT 2006

Hi Arnulf,

All registered members can be contacted via the OSGeo ID by emailing
the ID at osgeo.org.

All of the roles available for requesting via the interface are read
only roles for the repository. They can submit a file in docs &
files, join email lists, and the forum if there is one enabled in the
project. By joining a project, the user also gets announcements in
their home page and a link to the project that they belong to.

Even though these are just read only roles, the requests have to be
approved by the project owner. Normally this was because we allowed
all roles to be requested. But allowing people to request these roles
via the interface caused a lot of confusion. Now other roles with
write capability must be assigned by the project owner. This was a
specific modification we made to OSGeo.

Roles thus should be approved when you get them as they really have
no affect other than the user showing interest in a project. There
should be info on you project page that shows what the process is for
becoming a project committer or other role.

Daniel Brookshier | Community Manager | CollabNet, Inc.
8000 Marina Blvd. Suite 600 | Brisbane, CA 94005 | USA
O 972.422.5261 | C 214.207.6614 | dbrookshier at collab.net