[OSGeo-Board] Spending Approvals, Money, etc

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Aug 23 14:10:47 PDT 2006

Folks,

It seems to me that we need to put together a plan of items we feel that
  are priority for OSGeo to have funding available for in order to be
successful regardless of where that funding comes from.

We've come up with an annual budget that we would like to work from,
this is giving us some general targets to work towards in the
Fundraising committee. Autodesk has been extremely generous to fill in
the initial holes -- but we clearly need to get our act together to make
sure this can be sustained. We all heard at the last board meeting that
over the next three years - as a non-profit, max of a third can come
from a single organization. So obviously we have work to do to ensure we
have multiple sources of $$$ coming into the organization.

So we've identifed some priority needs for the next months - these are
actively being funded:

Infrastructure - funded until Jan. 1
Exec. Director - funded for next 2-3 quarters?
Promotion at a few conferences - funded for this fall

What else do we need between now and say Jan 1?

Infrastructure replacement:
  --> What do we need before jan 1 / after?
  --> Can we get a plan with $$$ requirements together, short and long term?

VisCom:
  --> Swag / Shirts -- do we have an idea of amount we need? Does $2,000
for this seem reasonable between now and end of year given demand we've
seen? more? less?
  --> Michael expressed some frustration with need for some graphic/web
design support -- nothing seems forthcoming in the community, so can we
put together some budget room for this? I'd suggest we get michael to
put a proposal together for us so we understand what this need is for.
We can evaluate and budget accordingly.

Fundraising:
  --> we might need some seed $$$ to be successful here. I'll come back
with further thoughts on this if appropriate as we put together our docs
for fundraising.

I think if we can line item these things -- they would cover critical
priorities for the next few months -- others may have different ideas.
The point I think Gary is trying to make is, let's put this info
together and see where we can get the $$$ to support this. If we can get
it through fundraising -- excellent. If Autodesk is willing to help
somewhat as they have been so generous for to date -- great. But let's
decide what we really need to make this work. If we can't get the money
- we decide what gets chopped.

We're all short in resources which I understand, and why I'm hopeful an
ED can help -- to fill in the coordination of pulling this type of info
together.

In the meantime, the clock continues to tick. For my part -- I'll do my
best to get our fundraising activities in line so we can begin to get
some cash-flow projections from fundraising in the cue.

Dave