[Board] Board and/or fundraising committee activity?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu Jun 28 10:19:23 PDT 2007

dear all,
On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 02:42:08PM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> >It could still be a Fundraising committee, but perhaps all board members
> >could join.  Fundraising could also be added as recurring item on Board
> >meeting agendas.  We could start a list of potential donors, available
> >grants (is that started somewhere already?).
>
> I am not involved in too many other comparable organizations.  But my
> wife is on the local library board.  They have a fundraising committee
> but most of the board is on it as well as some other friends of the
> library.

Right, i would be concerned that the expectation of a board being the
primary fundraisers / more importantl fundraisers, might come from a
more corporate or controlled context than this broad group of projects
& people...

If any committee is stalling or needs help it should have recourse to
the Board to help fix. I agree there should be a lot of overlap
between Board and Fundraising groups.

I would be interested in helping to get organisations to sponsor the
foundation, I would like to talk to the JRC about this and wonder if
others think this is a good idea, or suggest who to approach.

Then it would be great to have a HOWTO especially for projects on how
they can use the Foundation vehicle to get project-directed funding.
New projects especially may just not be aware of this.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Project_Sponsorship

Like the old Howard Dean campaign thing perhaps it is better to have
100 people trying to hit up their employer for a basic sponsorship :)
At this point i wish that
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Foundation_Sponsorship#How_To_Sell_Sponsorship.3F
was filled in with more advice...

cheers,