[Board] ApacheCon

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Sep 16 09:26:08 PDT 2008

Since I mentioned it, it is worth filling in some details.

ApacheCon is an odd duck.

* It appears to be run on a for profit basis by a small organizing
company that essentially fills most of the roles that we currently
divide up between the volunteer LOC and the profession organizing
company.  The only roll that Apache retains for itself is choosing the
speaking roster (and the location, I think), via their conference
committee.
* The company appears to have a multi-year agreement with the Apache
foundation to provide ApacheCons
* The pricing on ApacheCon is closer to "standard corporate IT
conference" than to "standard academic conference" (FOSS4G is
somewhere in the murky middle)
* ApacheCon does provide travel expenses to speakers, who in turn tend
to be Apache Foundation members

So the model sort of strokes all the people in power, taking from
those who are merely interested.  Apache Foundation members who speak
get a funded get-together, the organizer provides a consistent quality
event and is paid for her time, and the freight is paid by people who
are willing to pay full fare for a speaking line-up chock full of
Apache Foundation luminaries.

P.