[Board] New MOUs proposed...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 6 21:07:18 PDT 2011

Suchith / Tyler / others,

I am ready to support the ICA MOU.

With regard to the SIGTE MOU:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOU_SIGTE

I am interested in this part:

"""
The SIGTE OSGL will review local and national geospatial needs in Spain, and
where possible, support the Spanish speaking open source geospatial community
worldwide.
"""

Have we been in contact with the Spanish chapter?

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Cap%C3%ADtulo_Local_de_la_comunidad_hispano-hablante

I'm a bit unclear on whether the above chapter is a Spanish
national chapter, or a pan-Spanish chapter bridging between
a chapter in Spain and other spanish speaking communities.  But
given that SIGTE would like to take a significant role in making
our software accessable in the spanish speaking world and Spain
in particular I'd like to see some involvement of other local
chapter members.  I have sent off a question myself to a couple
of osgeo-es board members.

I'd like to aim to appoint at least some Spanish OSGeo supports
to represent OSGeo on the OSGL Advisory Board.  This doesn't need
to be written into the MOU but I hope it will be our practice.

While the goals of the MOU are fairly ambitious I don't see that
as a reason to avoid signing the MOU.  I just hope we will succeed
in bringing forward some volunteers from the OSGeo side to help
support the cooperation succeed.