[Board] Choosing the next President of OSGeo

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 17 10:00:24 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Jeff McKenna
<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
> Hi Board,
>
> I just noticed an agenda item on Monday's meeting "appointment of
> President, Chair, Treasurer, and Secretary".
>
> Arnulf's been in the seat for so long I don't remember the process for
> "appointing" a new president.  Is she/he nominated first?  Who nominates
> that person (Board members, Charter members)?

Jeff,

The president, treasurer and secretary are appointed by motions of
the board of directors.

> Might also be good to circulate a wiki page now that outlines the role
> of the OSGeo President.  (I am not sure if or where that exists)

In addition to the formal material Lisa highlighted, this is the material
we prepared in recent years to capture the executive role responsibilities.

  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Executive_Positions

In practice the president is often the person outsiders who want an
"answer" from OSGeo will contact and the person who will be most
requested to speak on behalf of OSGeo at conferences, etc.

The president also can play an important role moving the discussion
of the board forward by virtue of being the default meeting chair.

> I think it's good to start this discussion now, as our time on Monday
> might go very quick.

I'm hoping that we Daniel and Michael will stay on in their
roles of Treasurer and Secretary for another year in which
case we can focus on the president role.