[Board] Choosing the next President of OSGeo

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Aug 17 11:47:00 PDT 2012

On 12-08-17 2:00 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> The president, treasurer and secretary are appointed by motions of
> the board of directors.
>

> In addition to the formal material Lisa highlighted, this is the material
> we prepared in recent years to capture the executive role responsibilities.
>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Executive_Positions

ah right, thanks Frank.  I also found an old link posted by Tyler very
useful (much of our bylaws seem to have come from here word for word):
http://www.idealist.org/info/Nonprofits/Gov2

> In practice the president is often the person outsiders who want an
> "answer" from OSGeo will contact and the person who will be most
> requested to speak on behalf of OSGeo at conferences, etc.
>
> The president also can play an important role moving the discussion
> of the board forward by virtue of being the default meeting chair.

Arnulf did an amazing job as President.  He traveled the world
representing OSGeo for many many years.

Now I wonder how anyone else could do that, and yet still "keep the
lights on".  He worked so hard at it that it is almost impossible to
fill his shoes (and be able to pay the bills, have a regular life).  He
did it all on his own money, never once requesting financial assistance.

So how do we adjust this role to life-after-the-Arnulf-borg ? :)

Mike Smith and I had a long Skype talk this morning about this. But I
feel we should all openly discuss our thoughts, before the short meeting
slot on Monday.  Mike did say that a lot of Arnulf's role would now be
filled by Cameron's "OSGeo Advocates".  But I'd love to hear everyone's
thoughts on this.

> I'm hoping that we Daniel and Michael will stay on in their
> roles of Treasurer and Secretary for another year in which
> case we can focus on the president role.

I agree Daniel and Michael are wonderful at these roles.

-jeff