[Board] Motion: Board election procedure

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 14:19:25 PDT 2014

Hi Frank and others,

It is tough for a CRO to have to select a "random" process
retrospectively. Hence I think we should make it easier by defining the
process up front.

A "random tie breaker" will typically favour one person over another, or
even if it is a coin flip, then the looser would be right to feel
cheated that they lost to a coin flip. I think it better to give a tie
breaker vote to a person, preferably someone with respect in the
community. Typically this will be the chair of a committee, and not one
of the nominees. It could be allocated to a board member who has served
1 year out of their 2 year term.

We could give the tie breaker person a 0.5 vote instead of a 1.5 vote in
order to avoid specific accusations.

On re-thinking, a 0.5 vote works for selecting 1 candidate from many
options, but can still result in a tied vote when selecting many from
many. Ie, there might be 2 candidates, each with 24.5 votes. As such a
tie breaker vote should be a ranked vote. (0.1, 0.2, 0.3, ...)

We have learned from experience that a revote can result in a second
tie, as well as using up precious time, so I suggest avoiding a solution
which involves a revote.

So I suggest:
1. A ranked tie breaker vote be allocated to a person, that person being
the CRO, but am happy to consider it being allocated to someone else.
2. The person with the tie breaker vote doesn't have a vote, except in
the case of a tie.
3. To avoid misfeelings in the community and pressure upon the tie
breaker, the results of the tie breaker's decision should not be made
public, and should not be in a position to be deduced. (This probably
means that we won't publish that there was a tie in the first place).