[Board] Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 04:34:43 PDT 2014

OSGeo Board,
As proposed, we have provided an updated voting process, which has been
refined after discussion on the osgeo discuss list.
To complete this process, I'm asking the board to vote to approve the
new process (as copied below), and move forward to voting for OSGeo
Advocates.

Proposal: OSGeo to update the Charter Member voting process, as per below:

+1 Cameron

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process_2014#Positions_for_recognised_OSGeo_Community_Leaders
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2014#Revised_selection_process

      Revised selection process

In previous years the Charter Member selection process has been a little
contentious. We typically receive numerous nominations from high caliber
members of our community, and insufficient positions to accept them all.
This typically results in unnecessary disappointment and dissent.

In response, the OSGeo boardhas agreed
<http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-06-12>to trial tweaking
the voting process. The aim is to automatically accept recognised OSGeo
community leaders, while continuing with our existing process which
attracts the many valuable community members who contribute in other
ways. A week's provided for community comments.

Design guidelines:

  * We want a process which is simple to understand and implement.
  * We want a process which encourages recognised OSGeo community
    leaders to become OSGeo charter members, while continuing to accept
    members from the many other valuable OSGeo roles.
  * We want a process which is difficult to abuse.
  * For the first iteration, we should err on being more selective in
    our criteria, with potential widening of selection criteria in
    future years.

    Positions for recognised OSGeo Community Leaders

OSGeo aims to provide OSGeo Charter Membership to all recognised OSGeo
community leaders who are nominated. Hopefully, sufficient positions are
available. If there are more candidates than available, then membership
will be allocated to the first to be nominated. Remaining nominees will
be automatically offered to go through the standard voting process.

Recognised OSGeo Community Leaders are defined as people who have
been*voted*into a position of authority within official OSGeo projects
and committees. (This may refer to a current or previously held position).

Acceptable roles are currently limited to:

  * Project Steering Committee member of a Graduated OSGeo Project
  * Chair of Official Local Chapter, where the voting community includes
    at least*3*OSGeo charter members
  * Chair of an OSGeo committee, where the voting community includes at
    least*3*OSGeo charter members

The application process for recognised OSGeo Community Leaders is the
same as for other nominees.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager