[Board] OSGeo signing certificates (discussion)

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Thu Oct 15 10:46:17 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 6:49 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks, could the boardwalk with the SAC to obtain a useful certificate?
> For this discussion/motion I am seeking the direction "this is something we
> should do" from the board.

I am in a small conflict of interest here as a "community lead" at
> boundless we have also offered to sign bundles as a member of the QGIS
> community. The board could also ask the qgis non-profit to obtain a
> certificate and sign, but I would prefer if we stick with the OSGeo
> branding (which helps many more projects then just QGIS).

​One example where an OSGeo certificate would make much more sense than
separate ones is the QGIS Mac KyngChaos installer. (Pretty much quoting my
colleague Richard D. here.) Since William prefers to package the
dependencies separately, it would seem quite awkward to sign, e.g. GDAL
with the QGIS.org certificate. A general OSGeo certificate would seem
appropriate. I assume the same might be the case sooner or later for the
OSGeo4W installer.

Best wishes,
Anita