[Board] follow up to today's brief discussion on charter membership elections

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 18:21:38 PDT 2017

Sorry I was late for today's meeting, I see from the IRC logs that there
was the start of a discussion on the recent charter membership elections.

I am quite disappointed in our actions as a board, not for transparency as
outlined in IRC, but for not following through on a decision. In response
to a longstanding concern over how charter member elections were counted
(where in effect any -1 votes ineffectual) the f2f meeting at Bonn made a
strategic decision to change the formula ... and then did not name parties
responsible for implementing the change.

The result placed a lot of last moment pressure on our CRO, and produced a
bit of confusion this nomination period. I think we own both our CRO and
our membership an apology for being disorganized on this one, and should do
our best to write up and review a procedure to back the strategic decision.

The good part is that everyone nominated was so darn impressive we did not
have to try the review process. It does leave us with an unknown on if this
stratagy is effective at meeting our needs.
--
Jody Garnett