[Board] Travis-CI & OSGeo

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Apr 23 07:50:31 PDT 2018

My issue is not that Even shouldn't be given the freedom to manage his project the way he wants.  Of course he should.

The point is that

1)      He is limited because he is under the OSGEO Project infrastructure on Github.  If he were on his own project space, like PostGIS or QGIS (or Geos used to be), he wouldn't be limited by the 5 worker limit. I fail to see what benefit this Org is doing us when several of aour key projects aren't even on it (e.g. QGIS, GRASS, PostGIS) and even if they are what is the point, people should be lured to the osgeo website, not github.

2)      $5000 or more a year I fair is eventually what you'd need to pay as more projects get added to the GitHub Org

this https://github.com/OSGeo/  the pricier it gets and plus you need to be committed to offer this every year.

-- this extracted from Even's note for those who are not aware

a.  number of 5 concurrent jobs per organization

b.  I contacted Travis-CI support and they gave me a quote to increase the number of concurrent

c.  jobs :

d.  10 concurrent jobs: $1925/year

e.  15 concurrent jobs: $3850/year

f.  20 concurrent jobs: $5775/year

g.  (taking into account a 30% discount for non-profit organizations).

3)      I think with $5000, that's almost the size of the osgeo budget for hardware.  I think of all the good we could do with $5000/yr and something that could help all projects not just things hosted on GitHub.

Like building up our own CI infrastructure that would test more than just Ubuntu.

And what about AppVeryor.  How much are you going to have to pay for that?  Is it under the same core limitations or will you have to shell out an additional $5000/yr for that?

So my main concern is that this takes away money from other worthy causes and can be easily ameliorated by projects not falling under the Github OSGeo org, and the github/OsGeo org just listing projects and related repos.

Might I reiterate I find it self-defeating that we have a GitHub Org and projects like QGIS, GRASS, or PostGIS aren't even represented on it.  The list looks cluttered hard to follow and would be better served with a plain old list.

Thanks,

Regina