[Bootcamp08] Registration for OSGeo BootCamp 08

Andrew Ross grof at rogers.com
Wed Apr 16 20:05:06 EDT 2008

Hi Daniel, Everyone

Thanks for your reply Daniel. I understand. Let me try and describe the
event.

Carleton University has provided 6 large rooms for us. One is a 394 seat
state of the art theatre. The others range from 52 to 100 seats. So there's
plenty of room (capacity 658+)

The event is intended to provide outreach. Because Ottawa has two major
Universities (Carleton, Ottawa U.) and a very strong College (Algonquin),
we'll have a strong student representation there. They've been following the
osbootcamp series, packing the room at each event, and getting involved in
the communities of the presenters so this is something I'm really pleased
about. Faculty will be there as well.

The other aspect of outreach will be to business and government. We're
working to invite members from three levels of government, and businesses
that may not have been exposed to geospatial software before but likely will
be interested.

Also, we hope that this is a great opportunity for the community to get
together and meet, BOF talk, and sprint. The rooms are all available on the
second day but there are no scheduled formal talks. (we'll have a bulletin
board for booking BOF talks and sprints)

Provided we have enough sponsorship (which looks likely), we'll have food
for everyone, and give away some cool prizes like a PS3, and iPod touch, and
more.

Not bad for free. ;-)

I could really use some help drumming up interest and finding speakers since
I'm fairly new (and not that well known yet) in the community. Sponsors help
too of course. This is a great opportunity to be in a small set of sponsors
and stand out.

You'll have to help me with importance as perhaps that is in the eye of the
beholder.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help describe the
event.

Thanks again,

Andrew