[California] OSGeo Chapter Requirements

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Fri Oct 19 11:09:20 EDT 2007

There are some requirements we need to take care of if we want to
petition for official OSGeo status. The requirements are listed below:

[1] Determine a mission statement or objective.

[2] Determine a scope or charter for the chapter.

[3] Elect an official representative to communicate with the OSGeo
Board.

I would suggest we meet requirement #1 with a mission statement like the
following:

Promote the use and development of FOSS GIS programs to the public and
private organizations that are based or operate in the State of
California. Promote reasonable access to geospatial data that is
collected and maintained with public data. Design and develop simple
tools and programs that address weaknesses or pressing needs in the FOSS
GIS programs currently available.

I would suggest that we meet requirement #2 by defining the chapter's
charter as the entire state of California, with the understanding that
smaller areas will be governed by a local committee when there is
sufficient support.

I think we will need someone to volunteer to fill requirement #3. I
realize we don't know each other that well, but I don't think this
should be too difficult. I really don't want to be this person, at least
not initially, because I want to avoid having this thing become too much
of a "one-man" show. We could make the position a 1 year term elected by
a simple majority of chapter members.

Any comments?

SLB

Warning: