FW: [California] Introductions, regional & local chapters

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Fri Oct 19 11:22:12 EDT 2007

The point about local chapters is an excellent one. California is a big
state, and I don't see someone in Redding driving down for meetings in
San Diego. :]

Still, I think there is a role for a state-wide chapter, and I think
this would be especially important in the beginning, when our membership
is still growing. I would suggest we set up "local committees" that can
address local issues and arrange for local meetings. We could have one
member of each local committee serve on a committee that oversees
statewide chapter activities. Each local committee should comply with
some basic principles of the statewide chapter, but I think they could
be pretty independent otherwise. The challenge here will be deciding
which areas of the state belong to which local committee. I can see
Stockton and Sacramento in the same committee, but what about Fresno?
That might be too far south. Perhaps splitting things up by County would
be a good idea?

Allan wrote: "Most of my programming is in Python these days."

I've just started using Python to write some extension scripts for
Inkscape. My next big project on OpenJUMP is to support more advanced
SVG export. The tools I'm writing for Inkscape allow for some more
precise "CAD-Like" drawing.

Allan wrote: "I've been using Scribus a lot
these days to produce a newsletter, and think it's a great product.
Since I
think the end point in cartographic production should be a high-quality
PDF
document, I could envision Scribus as the final tool used in a
cartographic
production chain."

I agree %100. I've been trying to encourage FOSS GIS folks to think
about Inkscape and Scribus as map production tools of choice. I think it
makes more sense to use and contribute to these tools then it does to
add the same functionality in each FOSS GIS Program.

In my mind, the FOSS Cartographic Production Chain should look like
this:

FOSS GIS Program -> SVG Export -> Inkscape -> Image Export -? Scribus
(Final Map Layout) -> PDF Export

Allan wrote: "About metadata tools -- my dream tool would be able to
generate a good input form given a fairly arbitrary metadata schema."

Do you mean something that is given a metadata schema and produces a GUI
form for the user? I never thought about that... Perhaps it could be
done with GladeXML and PyGTK?

Allan wrote: " Are you thinking in terms of a
desktop tool, or something web-based? GeoNetwork goes a fair bit down
the
latter road."

I was thinking of a tool for the Desktop. Something like Metavist or
Corpsmet, but that I can run on Linux. :]

http://sco.wisc.edu/wisclinc/metatool/cormet95.htm
http://nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/gtr/gtr_nc255.pdf

Landon