[California] FW: OCIO Issues Policy on Open Source Software

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Jan 9 21:29:20 EST 2010

Actually I think this is really highlighting what's already been
occurring in agencies and removing a barrier that was making some
hesitant to use FOSS.

Note 1/3 of the agencies use DotNetNuke (at least internally), and
several who have long used Novell products are starting roll out Suse
servers because Novell is moving it's product line to that OS from
Netware. The bigger question is if there will be any adoption of
OpenSource on the desktop.

Personally I was dumbfounded that GIMP, Inkscape etc weren't common in
State agencies where justifying Adobe products for daily work is quite a
stretch but people still need basic photo and graphics editing.

Alex