Thinking through polygon creation

Dan Putler putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Thu Sep 21 22:34:33 EDT 2006

Hi Dave,

I moved our email discussion to the list.

I am essentially a newbie to digitalizing, so the issues involved in
digitalizing the FSA polygons didn't dawn on me. Then I remembered
all about shards, overlapping borders, and so on. I can see how using
road segments to form polygon edges makes a lot sense, particularly
when dealing with adjacent FSA polygons, since it guarantees a common
edge between them. As a result, I think we should attempt to make the
road segment approach work.

The other concern I had was shore line and other "natural borders".
However, my guess is that we can get good natural borders by taking
the intersection between either a Census Subdivision (or Census
Division, which are already publicly available for the 2001 Census)
and a FSA polygon (created with very crude "natural borders". Am I
correct about this assumption?

Dan