Not a pretty picture

Dan Putler putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Mon Sep 25 17:40:26 EDT 2006

Well, I've created a well behaved radial sort program in R.
Unfortunately, it doesn't completely solve the scrambled vertices
problem when the road segments are used as the basis of creating the
FSA polygons. Below is a screen shot of what I'm getting after the
radial sorting of the vertices, while the second one shows what I get
without sorting the vertices. Both of these are for FSA K2W. The last
thing I could do is take the convex hull of the vertices, but this
would also have problems as well. Based on this exercise, I don't
know whether it is practical to use the FSA boundary road segments
directly in forming FSA boundaries. Frank, any ideas other than using
a radial sort or a convex hull to get the vertices in the correct order?

Dan

P.S.
Dave, the earlier polygon file I sent you for this FSA was based on
my hand digitalizing the polygon using the road segments as guides.