Some thoughts of FSA Centroids and Polygons

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Sep 27 13:33:35 EDT 2006

Hey folks,

Just had a brain storm and thought I'd share.

We are able to producea reduced RNF with only roads used in FSA
boundaries. Then there is cleaning up to do as we all know.

What about using FSA centorids to help out with manual edits? Manual
editing is required, but some additional info could help pinpoint what
areas need work.

The thought is

1. Create the reduced RNF
2. Create the FSA Centorids
3. in a GIS import both the reduced RNF and the FSA centroids
4. do some queries:
	a. find all polygons with one FSA point
	b. find all polygons with more than one FSA point
	c. find all polygons lacking any FSA tag
5. use this info to help with manual edits.

>From that we can hypothesise that in
	case A the polygon is either correct (requiring some manual
cleaning) or requires enlargement (manual merges maybe)
	case B the polygon requires additional information such as other
non-road features
	case C the polygon has been split too much and something needs
to be blown away.

Some of this might be able to be automated or atleast again a
probability choices made.

Any thoughts