[RNFdev] Some thoughts of FSA Centroids and Polygons

Dan Putler putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Thu Sep 28 12:14:57 EDT 2006

Hi Dave,

Sorry for being a bit thick, but I am still not sure I understand
exact problem you are trying to tackle. I think the process you are
proposing makes sense in terms of creating polygons that have "good
hygiene".  Although, there are a couple of comments/questions. First,
the thinned RNF typically won't produce closed polygons based on the
road segments alone, and we will need to digitalize some of the non-
road line segments. Any overshooting and undershooting problems will
largely be associated with the added line segments as opposed to the
original RNF road segments (working with this data, it looks like
StatsCan did a thorough job of cleaning the geometry of the road
segments, so they tend not to overshoot or undershoot, assuming they
exist at all in the RNF). However, your basic point that the polygons
will need some post creation cleaning is spot on. Although, as
indicated above, in the vast majority of cases the problems will be
with the added segments, so it will likely be more of an issue of
fixing less than perfect added segments, more than investigating the
causes of the error.

In terms of the attribute data, my guess is that we will need to
create FSA polygons on a one by one bases. As a result, I think it
makes more sense to add an attribute table with the FSA field to the
polygon at the time of its creation. I don't think it would be too
hard to modify Frank's  python script to do this.

Let me know if I'm still not understanding the issue.

Dan