[Carto] Students: Get Paid to work on this project

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Apr 6 12:41:10 EDT 2010

Greetings everyone!

The OSGeo Carto mailing list [1] was created to discuss developing a
common approach to printable (vector-based) map output from open source
mapping applications.  With Google's Summer of Code program, we have a
great opportunity for students to be funded to work on this project!
Please forward this on to any students that you think might benefit.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Engine

Note there is room for a range of programming abilities, here are just a
few...

 * developing XML-based map definition and print standard specifications
 * writing a GUI-based app for doing map layout
 * converting project configuration files into a common format
 * enhancing Mapnik to handle layout and file output definitions
 * What else?  You tell us! Students are welcome to propose new ideas!

This year, we've tied this project directly to Mapnik (and indirectly to
QGIS or GRASS) just so it is clearly not a new project, but an
enhancement of an existing one.

Since it is really focused on developing and implementing standards, I'm
not opposed to using other projects in there for either the 'client' or
the engine - so if you're a student interested in MapServer or gvSIG,
for example, and would rather work on implementing it that way, then
please just propose it.  I only had to narrow our focus to keep it clear.

Time is running out for student applications, so let's get the word out!
 Even if you're not a student but are interested in helping in some way,
join the list and say hi.