[Carto] Students: Get Paid to work on this project

Dane Springmeyer dbsgeo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 12:55:38 EDT 2010

On Apr 6, 2010, at 9:41 AM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> Greetings everyone!
>
> The OSGeo Carto mailing list [1] was created to discuss developing a
> common approach to printable (vector-based) map output from open
> source
> mapping applications.  With Google's Summer of Code program, we have a
> great opportunity for students to be funded to work on this project!
> Please forward this on to any students that you think might benefit.
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Engine
>
> Note there is room for a range of programming abilities, here are
> just a
> few...
>
> * developing XML-based map definition and print standard
> specifications
> * writing a GUI-based app for doing map layout
> * converting project configuration files into a common format
> * enhancing Mapnik to handle layout and file output definitions
> * What else?  You tell us! Students are welcome to propose new ideas!
>
> This year, we've tied this project directly to Mapnik (and
> indirectly to
> QGIS or GRASS) just so it is clearly not a new project, but an
> enhancement of an existing one.
>
> Since it is really focused on developing and implementing standards,
> I'm
> not opposed to using other projects in there for either the 'client'
> or
> the engine - so if you're a student interested in MapServer or gvSIG,
> for example, and would rather work on implementing it that way, then
> please just propose it.  I only had to narrow our focus to keep it
> clear.
>
> Time is running out for student applications, so let's get the word
> out!
> Even if you're not a student but are interested in helping in some
> way,
> join the list and say hi.

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for raising this issue again - reminded me that as emails have
been swirling around I've forgotten to keep the thread up here.

RE: GSOC there have been two students that showed interest in better
printable/vector output, via the project ideas posted on the ideas
page of OpenStreetMap [1] and the Mapnik [2]. Early on in the process
I linked to the OSGEO Carto wiki page to try to tie things together a
bit.

Since we've got two great students (actually who are friends at the
same uni) with quite developed applications going now, anyone
interested should please comment their proposals:

Focus on Mapnik:
http://betterprintsupport.blogspot.com/

Focus on OSM (using Mapnik + other tools):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2010/Student_Applications#Draft_application
:_Better_Print_Support:_OpenPaperMaps

Because there is not a third student focusing on the OSGEO side I
think was is not being addressed is the interoperability/standards
specification piece. Big picture this is likely better addressed
outside of a code-based GSOC project and rather by the wider community.

Dane

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GSoC_Project_Ideas_2010#Paper_Output_Projects
[2] http://trac.mapnik.org/wiki/GSOC2010/Ideas#BetterPrintSupport