[Workshops] Re: FOSS4G Workshop Reminders

Mark Leslie mark.leslie at lisasoft.com
Tue Sep 22 20:06:01 EDT 2009

Tim Schaub wrote:
> Hey-
>
> I'm curious how far we can go with the "short README.txt file with
> install instructions."
>
> In previous years, the instructions have included things like
> configuring certain services to run at startup and proxy configuration
> for Apache.
>
> For example, in the OpenLayers workshop, GeoServer was running on all
> machines and proxied via http://localhost:80/geoserver by Apache.  In
> addition, we had a http://localhost/ol_workshop alias that pointed to
> the root of our workshop directory.

Assuming you provide tested configuration files (or the relevant
snippets with details on where to put them), this shouldn't be a
problem.  The key would be to have enough simple tests to ensure that
everything you're expecting is there, but not so intensive that we lose
an day testing it.

> Are these reasonable instructions (with more detail) to include this year?
>
> Also, can you suggest any practical limits on the size of the data we
> should upload?

I don't have the drive-size handy, but I would think under a few hundred
megs would be safe.