[Workshops] Machine setup

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Mon Sep 28 22:27:00 EDT 2009

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> For the MapServer workshop we'll be using MS4W with it's own Apache
> installed, which in all of the past workshops ran on port 80.  Is this ok?

I'm trying to remember how we did this last year (and not seeing what
I'm looking for on http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2008_Lessons_Learned).

It would be a conflict if the machines had another apache already running.

A potential solution is to have my instructions include modifying the
configuration for your apache.  Last year we either did this or we had
different setups in different rooms.

Ideally, I could get the following in an apache config:

     ProxyRequests Off
     ProxyPreserveHost On

     <Proxy *>
         Order deny,allow
         Allow from all
     </Proxy>

ProxyPass /geoserver http://localhost:8080/geoserver
ProxyPassReverse /geoserver http:/localhost:8080/geoserver

and

     Alias /ol_workshop "[OL_WORKSHOP]"
     <Directory "[OL_WORKSHOP]">
         Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
         AllowOverride None
         Order deny,allow
         Allow from all
     </Directory>

Substitute 8080 for whatever port GeoServer is setup to run on and
[OL_WORKSHOP] to the path on the system for the workshop directory.

Then I could walk people through starting GeoServer and Apache (assuming
buttons were easy for folks to find).

Jeff, should it be relatively easy for workshop organizers to edit the
config for the MS4W apache this way?

Also, this assumes mod_proxy enabled.

Tim

Tim Schaub