[Workshops] Machine setup

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Sep 29 08:43:23 EDT 2009

Tim Schaub wrote:

> I'm trying to remember how we did this last year (and not seeing what
> I'm looking for on http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2008_Lessons_Learned).
>
> It would be a conflict if the machines had another apache already running.
>
> A potential solution is to have my instructions include modifying the
> configuration for your apache.  Last year we either did this or we had
> different setups in different rooms.
>
> Ideally, I could get the following in an apache config:
>
>     ProxyRequests Off
>     ProxyPreserveHost On
>
>     <Proxy *>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Allow from all
>     </Proxy>
>
> ProxyPass /geoserver http://localhost:8080/geoserver
> ProxyPassReverse /geoserver http:/localhost:8080/geoserver
>
> and
>
>     Alias /ol_workshop "[OL_WORKSHOP]"
>     <Directory "[OL_WORKSHOP]">
>         Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
>         AllowOverride None
>         Order deny,allow
>         Allow from all
>     </Directory>
>
> Substitute 8080 for whatever port GeoServer is setup to run on and
> [OL_WORKSHOP] to the path on the system for the workshop directory.
>
> Then I could walk people through starting GeoServer and Apache (assuming
> buttons were easy for folks to find).
>
> Jeff, should it be relatively easy for workshop organizers to edit the
> config for the MS4W apache this way?
>
> Also, this assumes mod_proxy enabled.

We can definitely add any Apache config that you require (yes I remember
doing this in the past).  Please include your Apache steps (and testing
steps) in your uploaded README.txt, thanks that would be great.  You can
also test your steps, before documenting, in the actual Apache to be
used (/workshop_02/software/ms101_ms4w_foss4g2009.zip)

-jeff