RES: [OSGeo-Conf] 2011 Process

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Mon Nov 2 03:29:46 EST 2009

On Fri, October 30, 2009 11:49, Rafael Medeiros Sperb wrote:
> Folks,
>

> Before we go ahead, I would like to know whether the ideia of having the
> International FOSS4G every two years will be considered, as discussed in
> Sidney? In this case, we would have international and regional meetings
> alternating each other.
>
> Warm regards,
>

> Rafael

Rafael,
from my tiny perspective Brazil is a continent of its own and should
therefore also have at least one annually recurring event of its own.
During bootstrapping this is a heavy load on those starting it up but the
second or third event can - if you manage accordingly - run on its own.

But it is very important to have you here on the conference committee to
add a Brazilian perspective. Ideally some folks from Spanish speaking SA
will also eventually join, for them it definitely makes sense to have a
local conference in their language. I guess Barcelona will be the right
time to bootstrap them, if they are not already under way, Lorenzo is very
active.

Can you argument in favor of having the international FOSS4G in Brazil
apart form it being a great venue and probably offering the most lively
night life ever? Would it help the cause of OSGeo in Brazil, spread word,
mission and so on? This might sound like a rhetoric question but I guess
we should know because it will give us the option to adjust a localized
FOSS4G event to address these questions.

Regards,
Arnulf.

Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com