RES: [OSGeo-Conf] 2011 Process

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at osgeo.org
Mon Nov 2 10:26:01 EST 2009

2009/11/2 Arnulf Christl <arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com>:

> On Fri, October 30, 2009 11:49, Rafael Medeiros Sperb wrote:
>> Folks,
>>

>> Before we go ahead, I would like to know whether the ideia of having the
>> International FOSS4G every two years will be considered, as discussed in
>> Sidney? In this case, we would have international and regional meetings
>> alternating each other.
>>
>> Warm regards,
>>

>> Rafael
>
> Rafael,
> from my tiny perspective Brazil is a continent of its own and should
> therefore also have at least one annually recurring event of its own.
> During bootstrapping this is a heavy load on those starting it up but the
> second or third event can - if you manage accordingly - run on its own.

Well, maybe I'm missing something in that thread but Brazil has its
FOSS4G event at http://geolivre.com/ this month on Brasilia.

But I have no idea if they are connected with OSGeo or OSGeo-Brazil in any way

> But it is very important to have you here on the conference committee to
> add a Brazilian perspective. Ideally some folks from Spanish speaking SA
> will also eventually join, for them it definitely makes sense to have a
> local conference in their language. I guess Barcelona will be the right
> time to bootstrap them, if they are not already under way, Lorenzo is very
> active.
>
> Can you argument in favor of having the international FOSS4G in Brazil
> apart form it being a great venue and probably offering the most lively
> night life ever? Would it help the cause of OSGeo in Brazil, spread word,
> mission and so on? This might sound like a rhetoric question but I guess
> we should know because it will give us the option to adjust a localized
> FOSS4G event to address these questions.
>
> Regards,
> Arnulf.

On the other hand, this year was the first gvSIG conference for
Latinamerican and Caribe, with a lot enthusiasm and success AFAIK.
Next year will be at Venezuela and probably next on Brazil. So the
thinks in SA are moving and I see a growing "market" there for OSGeo
and free geosoftware.

Best regards
--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas