[OSGeo-Conf] Comments on Ottawa 2017 proposal

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Nov 2 12:26:32 PST 2015

Dear Dave and LOC team,

Thank you for your proposal for Ottawa, Canada.  Here are
some comments from me, that I hope will help you in this final stage and
beyond:

- I like the use of the Introduction Letter, to highlight the proposal.
  It does hit home the long experience of its team since back in 2004.
And also mentioning the attractiveness to international guests of the
low Canadian dollar.

- I think describing the Ottawa local chapter and its long history
really strengthens the bid.  It is true, the chapter was around long
before OSGeo

- It is clear from the proposal of the strong local Open Source
contributors, through OSGeo charter members to the Eclipse foundation home.

- Highlighting the various post-secondary institutions and their GIS
programs really helps as well.

- The plan to hold a "Business Connect" session for private business
leaders is truly a great initiative.  Well done.

- Big bonus points for already including a logo draft!

- Regarding the choice of PCO, you do make a great case for leveraging
the Eclipse Foundation as the PCO, and one cannot argue with that
decision, it makes a lot of sense (and also local to you as well).  I
think where is gets tricky is branding (notice how for any past
FOSS4G-global event the PCO logo is nowhere to be found on the website
or any marketing materials, on purpose).  I assume you are aware of this
branding issue, and have cleared this with your potential PCO.  We of
course need to hit home that FOSS4G-global is OSGeo's yearly event.  Or,
what is your vision?  Are you proposing that this event no longer be
hosted by OSGeo?  Maybe you can just give a description of how this
partnership will work, in terms of branding, in your mind.

- Thank you for clearly including OSGeo's specific needs, such as the
AGM and visibility.

- I don't see much mentioned about workshops.  I assume that since the
workshops will be held in a university lab, that you are planning to use
their lab workstations, instead of bring-your-own, or renting.  Am I
correct?

- Great that you have included the code sprint in the possible schedule.

- Awesome to see that you have planned an informal social event even on
the Monday night.  Big bonus from me.

- I like that the gala dinner will be complementary for the main
conference attendees.

- Impressive to see a letter from the Ottawa mayor in support.  Well done.

Thanks again for your proposal.

-jeff