[OSGeo-Conf] Comments on Ottawa 2017 proposal

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at mapsherpa.com
Wed Nov 4 05:59:37 PST 2015

Hello Jeff,

Thank you very much for your comments and reactions, these are much appreciated. You have a few questions in here that we would like to provide some clarification on. See below inline:

> On Nov 2, 2015, at 3:26 PM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
>
> - Regarding the choice of PCO, you do make a great case for leveraging the Eclipse Foundation as the PCO, and one cannot argue with that decision, it makes a lot of sense (and also local to you as well).  I think where is gets tricky is branding (notice how for any past FOSS4G-global event the PCO logo is nowhere to be found on the website or any marketing materials, on purpose).  I assume you are aware of this branding issue, and have cleared this with your potential PCO.  We of course need to hit home that FOSS4G-global is OSGeo's yearly event.  Or, what is your vision?  Are you proposing that this event no longer be hosted by OSGeo?  Maybe you can just give a description of how this partnership will work, in terms of branding, in your mind.

We were a bit delayed in responding here, because both we and Philadelphia wanted to be absolutely clear on our goals here with Eclipse as the PCO. We get the importance of OSGeo branding at this event - and want to be sure it is front and centre.

The LOC will brand FOSS4G 2017 in Ottawa as the OSGeo-global event, in the same manner as all others that have come before it.

As for LocationTech / Eclipse branding, presence at the event for LocationTech and Eclipse will be provided freely at the show, consistent with the PCO’s sponsorship and exhibition activities at previous FOSS4G events. Given the PCOs willingness to financially backstop the event, we feel this is more than fair.

> - I don't see much mentioned about workshops.  I assume that since the workshops will be held in a university lab, that you are planning to use their lab workstations, instead of bring-your-own, or renting.  Am I correct?

A final decision had not been made regarding the location of the workshops, however our preference is to host it at the venue with the university as a back-up option. Regardless of location, the workshops would be Bring-your-own, as almost all attendees would have machines, and could then be setup for use beyond the end of the workshop.

> - Great that you have included the code sprint in the possible schedule.

Thanks. Note, regarding the code sprint timing, we can easily extend the code sprint to 2 days if that is the preference of the projects. In other years, 1 day was plenty given the long week for the developers leading up to it. Our suggestion is this be revisited after learning of the developer’s experience in Bonn to see what the preference would be.

Thanks,

Dave