[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Sep 23 13:03:17 PDT 2016

Hi Maria and All,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Maria Antonia Brovelli
<maria.brovelli at polimi.it> wrote:
> Dear Eli
>
> last year this Committee (we are speaking about the rules of this Committee)
> voted for less than 10 motions, which is a quite small number (less than one
> a month).
>
> A person who decides to be involved in a Committee accepts at least a
> minimum commitment (if not, what is the reason of staying in a Committee?).
> In my opinion voting less than one a month (in average) is not a so big
> effort.

I agree with that for myself and I personally participate in a high
percentage of the votes of which I'm eligible.  I don't agree with
applying this standard to other people.  Some people are less active
at times and still make productive contributions at other times, how
they manage their time is up to them.

Previously Paul made a call for everyone who didn't vote to resign,
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2012-April/001723.html
and I think that was generally poorly received.  Subsequently I think
Cameron did something like that with the intent of spurring people
into action (which worked).

I think that we need to be based on reality, not ideals.  Here are
some OSGeo projects with votes less than 50%.  To me these represent
continued success, not failure.

https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/GSIP-132
http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-89.html
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/44
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc63_sparse_datasets_improvements

These projects have many more votes with greater than 50%
participation; maybe those were more interesting topics or better
timed with personal events in people's lives.

> And definitely it means that more people (the people of made them available
> for the Committee!!)
>
> are part of the decisions.

I'd rather the votes of 4 people who read three entire 50+ page
proposals than the votes of 8 people who skimmed the proposals.

> I propose to follow the Board Guideline, adding a 50 % quorum.

I'd like to propose great than or equal to 25%.  Is that agreeable to you?

50% is fine with me except to keep the committee functional, we need
to routinely raise motions to remove committee members who haven't
voted.  I think a better method is a lower quorum.  Both work but one
seems unfriendly.

What do other committee members think?  What is a reasonable and
obtainable quorum percentage?  Is removing members for lack of
participation a good idea?

I'm glad that we're clarifying our operating procedures on the committee.

Best regards, Eli

> Best.
>
> Maria

> Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
> Vice Rector for Como Campus and GIS Professor
> Politecnico di Milano
>
> ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)"; OSGeo;
> ICA-OSGeo-ISPRS Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET
>
> Sol Katz Award 2015
>

> Via Natta, 12/14 - 22100 COMO (ITALY)
>
> Tel. +39-031-3327336 - Mob. +39-328-0023867 - fax. +39-031-3327321
>
> e-mail1: maria.brovelli at polimi.it
>
> e-mail2: prorettrice at como.polimi.it

>>> seconds). If there are doubts, better to discuss it in such a way to find