[OSGeo-Discuss] Input regarding Axis Order Confusion

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Dec 14 17:51:41 EST 2006

Actually, what you'll see is that uDig did when confronted with the
WMS1.3 conundrum: request version no higher than 1.1.1. The nice thing
about 1.3 servers is that they tend to support *all* versions, so just
always using VERSION=1.1.1 guarantees an easy dodge of the problem.

Since functionality was *removed* from 1.3, *and* the axis order was
reversed for fun, there is no *benefit* to using 1.3, except it has a
higher version number.  Vote with your code, keep VERSION <= 1.1.1

P.

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Hey
> thanx Paulo, Jody, Bob and all others for the input. As always good input
> from GeoTools. Problem is that this is way too long and complicated to the
> neogeographer.
>
> Schyler,
> could you please reformulate your 1000 year pledge, I don't get it (soy
> extranjero).
>
> So we are back at the start - or was it the end. My trouble with this is
> that I have already seen way too many hmtl clients in the web hopping to
> the right when you wanted to go left. With 1.3 applications will break
> more often. This is not good. All we can do is keep the exposed interfaces
> really well isolated. Anything else might be added to the Wiki, I am done
> with this issue at this point.
>
> Regards, Arnulf.
>
> On Thu, December 14, 2006 19:32, Jody Garnett wrote:
>> Here is an interesting page to link to:
>> - http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/The+axis+order+issue
>>
>> GeoTools is taking the stance of - provide a way for the application to
>> handle the problem (because it will occur), with the recommendation that
>> this control be passed onto the end user as an "advanced option" if
>> needed.
>>
>> You will also find that for the new URI format of SRS used by WMS1.3 or
>> WFS1.1 we believe the EPSG table order, the codes are only ambiguous in
>> their more common "AUTHORY:NUMBER" form...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jody
>>> Hello,
>>> if you are aware of anything that might enhance information regarding