[OSGeo-Discuss] [Fwd: Re: [NOSI discussion] money for OSS]

Ned Horning nedh at lightlink.com
Wed Jun 7 06:44:38 PDT 2006

Tyler,

I'm looking into this solicitation for my lab but am still pretty much at
the brainstorming stage and waiting to hear from our Grant and Fellowships
Dept. to see if they will give us the go-ahead. If the Museum goes after
this we'll focus on a conservation application collaborating with two or
more OSGeo projects but we would need to define our specific project and
select our partners. The Museum has received significant Mellon grants in
the past since Mellon is one of the foundations that support museum
activities.

It may be difficult for OSGeo to pitch something as a foundation but it's
definitely worth investigating that option and I would strongly encourage
it. If folks (the board?) can put together a short (1-2 page) prospectus
outlining a project I expect Mellon would give a quick indication if they
would consider such a proposal. That step should be taken soon. Careful
consideration would have to be given when defining the "project" but it's
not outside of the realm of possibility for Mellon to help support the
development of OSGeo.

All the best,

Ned