[OSGeo-Discuss] Starting new projects under OSGEO

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 24 07:48:15 PST 2006

Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
> Hi all,
> We are in the process of developing specifications for new analytical
> software related to land cover, land use, carbon cycle etc.. that we
> want to be licensed under GPL. There will be a tender put out for this.
> We are thinking of the possibility of having the project copyrighted to
> OSGEO right from its inception.
> The obvious question is: can this be done at this stage, what are the
> steps needed, how would we start a new project?

Jeroen,

There is no problem with having project copyright assigned to OSGeo
right from it's inception.  However, currently OSGeo isn't accepting
new projects till we complete the incubation of the existing projects
so that could be problematic.

It might be best to try and submit the project to OSGeo for incubation once
it has been "delivered".

I would add that I am hoping GeoNetwork will be a candidate for a foundation
project once we are ready for new projects.

Best regards,