[OSGeo-Discuss] Brazil OSGeo Chapter - first try

Helton Uchoa uchoa at geolivre.org.br
Wed May 31 15:35:47 PDT 2006

Hi list,

Since creation of OSGeo, the main infomations are translated to
brazilian FOSS GIS community. GEOLivre.org.br is a website (>850
members) and MapServer Brasil Yahoo Group (>500 members, created in
2003) is the mailing list that have probably more than 99% of brazilian
community. In Brazil, there are many projects/groups: MapServer/Oracle
(Univali University), e-Foto (UERJ - Rio de Janeiro State University),
Geolivre Linux/Open 3D GIS (OpenGEO Company), Terralib/Terraview (INPE),
etc. All these groups change informations by e-mail in MapServer Brasil
Yahoo Group (this name is not appropriate today, because informations
about many others technologias are changed).

In the main brazilian events of Geotechnologies, the FOSS GIS community
changes experiences and explain the Free Software Philosophy to new
members. In last years, 2 events are made in Brazil with FOSS GIS as
main theme: MapServer Users Meeting (UNIVALI - Santa Catarina) and
Geolivre Rio (UERJ - Rio de Janeiro). I have talked to anothers
University, Companies (IBM Brazil, Autodesk US, etc) and governamental
institutions to make possible the creation of fisrt international event
(www.geolivre.org) dedicated to FOSS GIS in Brazil.

When I think about local OSGeo Chapter, I believe that partitipation of
local groups are already working in the same way/philosophy/ideas of
OSGeo make more sense that the creation of a local "non-profit
organization" (NPO) in this initial stage of OSGeo. I known exactly the
cost to create e to maintain a NPO in Brazil and I don't think this is
the most indicated solution now. The most active groups and persons in
Brazil have worked in the FOSS promotion with a high level of
integration with no "legal" organization.

Actions that made FOSS GIS comunities strong in Brazil (I think that we
can use some of these ideas to OSGeo promotion):
- Scientific/technical events of FOSS GIS with University;
- Presentations (papers) in Geotechnologies conferences/events;
- Technical articles ("FOSS in action") in local magazines;
- Exchange information of all local groups.

A simple pratical (and efficient) promotion example: in last years, I
have participated (as speaker) of main Geotechnologies events in Brazil
and I have invited the potencial FOSS GIS users to join us
(Geolivre.org.br & MapServer Brasil). In this year, I will participate
(as speaker too) of GEOBrasil Summit (http://www.geobr.com.br) taking
about of FOSS GIS in the world and the OSGeo. This is the most important
Geotechnology event in Brazil and, probably, the FOSS GIS will be the
most viewed presentation like others similars events. And you can ask:
what's the secret? It's a cultural answer: I understood that to
brazilian users of GIS solutions is more important to show the real
cases of FOSS (projects with FOSS in action) than talk in deep about
FOSS concepts. So, in my all presentations I talk about concepts and
show the FOSS in action.

My concern is that the exchange information between OSGeo board and
local communities/groups is more important in this "initial stage" than
local osgeo chapter creation and can be more efficient to OSGeo
promotion too.

I will open the discussion in brazilian community about this issue
(local OSGeo Chapter) and bring to OSGeo the our community suggestions.

Now, I am working in OSGeo promotion in my next presentations in Brazil
and suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,

Uchoa

--
Helton UCHOA :: uchoa@{opengeo.com.br;geolivre.org.br;open3dgis.org}
Consultant in Free Software for Geomatics - 55 21 8272-4899