[OSGeo-Discuss] FW: [OSM-talk] The State of the Map

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Feb 8 14:12:07 PST 2007

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Does someone want to talk about how Openstreetmap and OSGeo can work in
> harmony with each other.
>
> Chris Holmes wrote:
>>  Is OpenStreetMap considering moving to using Geoserver, or supporting
>>  the same WFS-T protocols as geoserver?
> They basically won't talk until we have all the features they do.  Which

Oh no.. we'll talk, we (or I) just think WFS-T is a big bloated waste of
time.

It's really two themes:

1) Don't lose sight of making actual maps.

OpenStreetMap takes the KISS approach to just making a map. We've got
really far, and made lovely maps, with this strategy. The example thread
you pointed to is one that occurs periodically where someone comes along
and says we should be using postgis/geoserver/wfs-t etc. We always ask
them to come back with actual database timings or similar to prove their
methods are better. They never do.

(As an aside, the same thing used to happen with people wanting
mapserver until tiles at home and mapnik got going. The list of people
who've said OSM would never work without a strong ontology or wfs or X
or Y is pretty long but these mailing list events are growing less
frequent.)

 From OSMs point of view OSGeo is building a tower of babel which is a
ton of use if you're Ordnance Survey but we really don't need all that
strong ontology, data consistency, GIS stuff.

You can convert from OSM to shapefile, GML and what have you. Formats
and standards like these are Good Things.

2) Community

Our community of people making maps, going out in the cold and rain,
right now, to collect street data are not, for the most part,
programmers. We're a pretty diverse bunch and the community is more
important than the technology and so more resources are thrown at
organising our frequent mapping parties and so on. Supporting these
people with simple tools is important.

The simplicity of our data formats and APIs have brought in many non or
semi-technical people or people (many of them mappers) who wouldn't
usually touch code or XSLT. I can completely explain how OSM works in a
few minutes in the pub to a non-technical person. You can't do that with
WFS-T.

I could extend this to talk about the difference in attitudes to data on
each side of the atlantic (we don't have TIGER) but I havn't fleshed
that out and would welcome views.

None of this is said with particular prejudice, it's more a statement of
views than anything. We're holding a OSM developers workshop in April in
Germany if anyone wants to come, and we'd love to have someone (or more)
from OSGeo at our upcoming conference.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Essen_Developers_Workshop
http://www.stateofthemap.org/

I'd love to make it to FOSS4G 2007 but I'm not sure I have funds for a
trip to canada.

have fun,