[OSGeo-Discuss] New Project.

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Feb 28 11:32:53 PST 2007

Hi Bob,

this was recently discussed in the incubation committee.  It was
agreed by all that OSGeo is only officially interested in incubating/
hosting reasonably mature projects that have an established code base
and user community.  It was explicitly decided that OSGeo is not the
breeding ground for new projects.

As there are already several client projects (MapBender, MapBuilder,
OpenLayers, MapGuide) in OSGeo or undergoing incubation, I suspect
that there would be little interest in another Client project.  OSGeo
is trying to spread the love around a bit and looks to fill in gaps
in the GIS stack, another hit against a new Client project.  Finally,
I believe one of the benefits of OSGeo is that it can focus resources
on existing projects rather than fragmenting it.  That doesn't mean
that someone couldn't start something new, but in an OSGeo context it
would be better if the resources for the new project were put towards
improving an existing one.

Is there a particular reason why you are creating a new Mapping
Client Project rather than putting resources to improving or
customizing an existing one?

I believe that it may be possible for nascent projects to use some of
the OSGeo infrastructure (svn and trac).  I'm not sure there is a
process in place for requesting this yet.

Cheers

Paul