[OSGeo-Discuss] How to assess rendering quality?

Gilles Bassière gilles.bassiere at makina-corpus.com
Wed Oct 10 03:01:14 PDT 2007

Hi list,

I'm doing a comparative study of OpenSource cartographic servers
(Mapserver, Geoserver and Mapnik). Beside raw performance and features,
I'd like to assess the rendering quality, say how pretty produced maps
are. Precisely, I'm interested in the quality of the drawing work, my
point is not about symbology, nor styling of maps.

I have some problems to find a set of objective criteria I could
benchmark my servers against. So far, I have already identified the
following:
- sharpness of details
- smoothness of lines
- uniformity of colors

I'm open to any comments. Do you think these criteria are consistent
regarding the purpose of my study? Does anyone have other criteria to
suggest?

Regards

--
Gilles Bassiere