[OSGeo-Discuss] an inspiring presentation on FOSS marketing

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Sun Jan 27 06:31:29 PST 2008

Hello,
I have been scrolling through the presentations of the 24th Chaos
Communication Congress [1].

One really caught my eye:
Overtaking Proprietary Software Without Writing Code [2]
Quote:
 >> Free or "Open-Source" software, and in particular Linux, is doing
extremely well technically. However, it fails to secure a significant
portion of the protected, lucrative software market, especially for
end-users. Can Free Software finally make a full entry into our society?
The main obstacles to overcoming the domination of proprietary software,
most of them non-technical, require thinking outside of code-writing.
"Overtaking Proprietary Software Without Writing Code" will relate
experience gained from the activities of the GNU/Linux Matters
non-profit, and provide some hands-on advice for community members,
taking a handful of relevant examples. <<

It was held by a young French FOSS advocate [3] who set out to promote
the use of GNU/Linux [4], free software [5], different views on
copyright [6] and the recognition of women in FOSS [7]. I personally
like the approach of his explanations. Websites that look nice and and
are very readably because they focus on the important items.
In his presentation he gives some arguments that -- I guess -- many may
find difficult to follow (quality has a second priority) but
nevertheless it's worth to watch it and ponder over them. Like Linux
(the primary goal of his promotion), many FOSS4G programs face a
monolithic and powerful (in terms of marketing) competitor who holds a
major share of the market. I think many FOSS4G projects could learn from
him.

Kind regards,
Timmie

[1] http://events.ccc.de/congress/2007/Main_Page