[OSGeo-Discuss] Foreign Language Community Support

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas xurxosanz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 07:28:58 PST 2008

2008/11/9 Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net>:
> Projects like OpenLayers are, at this time, too small to have seperate
> lists for different langauges. (Or at least, that's been the theory;
> it's possible we're bigger than that now, but we'll pretend for a
> moment.)
>
> I would like to create a resource that tells users of OpenLayers where
> they can go to find support for their native langauge, if such a
> community is available. Specifically, I'm not looking to find comunities
> are willing to actually answer the OpenLayers question, just to, for
> example, help the user find out how to ask the question, or search for the
> problem, etc.
>
> As I see it, it looks right now like:

> I'm curious if members of these lists believe that an email from a
> French speaker asking, for example, for help translating a question or
> answer regarding OpenLayers would be welcomed or not. Also, I'm curious
> if there are other langauge lists that would also be able to help solve
> problems like this.
>
> Of coures, if you think that pointing people to local mailing lists is a
> silly idea, you're also welcome to say that :)
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christopher Schmidt
> Web Developer

Chris,

One of the most discussed projects at OSGeo-es[1] is OpenLayers. We're
lucky to have Lorenzo with us but other people are good OL users and
support newcomers.

When we're not able to answer hard questions we encourage people of
course to ask on OL forums.

We're also promoting the translation of OSGeo projects[2] and Miguel
Montesinos and Oscar Fonts have translated the OL strings also[3].

So, yes, you can point Spanish questions to our mailing list/local chapter.

[1] http://es.osgeo.org
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Spanish_Translation
[3] http://trac.openlayers.org/browser/trunk/openlayers/lib/OpenLayers/Lang/es.js
--