[OSGeo-Discuss] The state of WMS tile caching

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 18:53:36 PST 2008

> Can WMS tiles be cached by the server for any WMS client and still serve
> WMS according to the standard?

It should be possible; indeed that is my reading of how it should work. The
difference is in the all important tiled=true part of the GetMap request;
which would control if it is dispatched
to the tile cache or the normal WMS rendering subsystem.

> I know that a you can constrain WMS requests to a predefined grid if you
> control the client's request, but what if you don't control the client's
> request, can caching still be done?

 Sasha at Refractions did exactly this; set up a WMS Proxy that made use of
a tilecache behind the scenes - it was pretty cool but I do not think he
took the time to open source it yet.

> [to provide some context for the curious ones, it's for a public prototype
> for Canadian weather data dissemination and we're pretty excited about it -
> however, because weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca is the most visited Canadian
> website (that's what they tell us, but I guess google.com/.ca probably
> comes first), we need caching capabilities]

I actually worked on that website back in the bad old days (a co-op job of
all things). It used to be Java and IIS pulling data from an OS/2 system via
a serial link. Good times.

If you contact me offline I can put you in contact with Sasha; and of course
would love to do any work in this direction myself ;-)

Jody