[OSGeo-Discuss] ESRI Spain conference incident

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at me.com
Fri Oct 17 08:44:43 EDT 2008

ESRI has a history of tightly controlling its conferences.  I've
attended the paid conference in San Diego on several occasions and
have had papers turned down with no explanation.  It was obvious that
someone considered the topic competitive to ESRI products.  Even when
the papers were written emphasizing how software worked with ESRI
solutions - it was obvious that they considered it competition and
turned it down.

There is always a silver lining.  Obviously, gvSig has risen to the
point that it is considered a threat to ESRI products and sales.  Keep
up the good work!

Finally, it is refreshing to notice the contrast between proprietary
conferences and open source events - aggressive competition and
criticism of other products vs collaboration.

Mark