[OSGeo-Discuss] Patent for feature of paper map.

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Aug 6 09:51:31 EDT 2009

You might be surprised what people might be able to get away with,
though. There's been repeated attempts to patent "web mapping" for
example, and if it wasn't for the efforts of a few dedicated people,
there would now be patents in both Britain and the USA on displaying
maps over the web.  But the threat is not dead yet, believe it or not,
and it may culminate in a battle between Microsoft and Google sometime
in the near future. Check out Daniel Morissette's blog entry for Feb 21,
2009, "Microsoft Patents the Map" at
http://www.systemed.net/blog/?p=68.  If Microsoft really uses the
Multimap patent to put the bite on Google, then you can bet your bippy
that it'll affect your web mapping business too.

If reading that article brings your blood to a righteous boil, and you
want to know more about who really invented web mapping, see Carl Reed's
2004 article,  "Intellectual Property, Patents, and Web Mapping:
Historical Perspective" at
http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=28360.

- Bill Thoen

And I believe there actually was a patent issued for