[OSGeo-Discuss] Open File Formats and Proprietary Algorithms

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 16:15:21 EDT 2009

The MRSID format is a very special case - and perhaps an opportunity for a
new FOSS file format. MRSID is a lossless, fractal-based, multi-scale raster
compression format. LizardTech has the algorithms to encode and decode MRSID
locked up in copyrights, and I believe, patents. Even companies like ESRI
shell out big bucks to LizardTech to be able to read and write the MRSID
format.
I guess I missed the context of the discussion. Is the government releasing
certain data exclusively in this format? If so, I think the argument can be
made against this practice. The different in compression between MRSID and
gziped TIFFs isn't really that great in this day of cheap disks and fat
pipes.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography