[OSGeo-Discuss] Mac Pro collocation for OSGeo

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Aug 21 07:43:44 EDT 2009

Folks,

I have a pretty powerful workstation that I'd like to
connect to OSGeo infrastructure, somehow. It is: Mac Pro with
2 x Intel Xeon 2.66GHz (5150, "Woodcrest", dual core)
5 GB RAM
1.5 TB HDD
If I'll manage to find a new home for my machine, I want to
extent RAM to 16 GB and get one or more TB of HDD.

I'm looking for possibility of collocation my machine
somewhere in UK (not necessarily in London), so it can be
permanently connected to OSGeo infrastructure.
Unfortunately, I am not able to connect this machine from home
and keep connected 24/7.

I would be delighted to make it available for OSGeo projects
and their development purposes like Buildbot, scheduled builds, software
testing, etc.
The only personal use of this machine I would like to be able to do
is...development and software testing of OSGeo software I work with
plus I'd like to keep some personal backups there (disks are getting
cheap, so it shouldn't be a problem to extent to tens of TB
in near future). OS X Leopard and license for Parallels VM software is
included.

When I was working in Poland, I was successfully running 3-4 systems on
that Mac (ie. unstable Debian, stable Ubuntu and 2 x Windows) to crunch
scheduled builds.

I tried to find collocation service in Poland or UK but prices like
~100 GBP/month are too high to pay for the purposes I'd like to
dedicate my machine to.

So, if anyone knows a data centre in UK that would be interested
in "rescuing" the wasted CPU cycles of my machine resting in the box
please let me know. I think providing collocation could be a nice
way to sponsor OSGeo by contributing some nice hardware option :-)

Currently, the machine rests in box in my flat in Poland
(I live in London, UK). If I find a place for it, I'll ship
it from PL to UK.

A few pictures of the machiewne:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mloskot/sets/72157602734463745/

Best regards,