[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Will there be an OSGeo Desktop shootout atFOSS4G 2010?

Daniel Ames amesdani at isu.edu
Mon Dec 21 10:25:04 PST 2009

Folks, I like the structured comparison approach that Cameron outlined. Also
equally (or perhaps more useful) would be to put together a wiki page with
goals and benchmarks based on ArcGIS 9.3. And then indicate where the os
packages compare. This would provide us with the ability to answer the most
important question which is "can this do what the proprietary software
does."  For example, we could post a couple of maps made in AG and then
challenge each desktop team to create and upload the same maps. Etc.  I have
a line shapefile with 200 shapes. We could upload it and have everyone do
some timing to show how fast to load,pan, etc on the data. This could also
serve as a way for some of the teams to see their own deficiencies and find
critical tasks to work on (they could then update their reporting on the
wiki and indicate the version number)... - Dan