[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Will there be an OSGeo Desktop shootout atFOSS4G 2010? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Mon Dec 21 17:40:24 PST 2009

IMO:

This may have already been covered.

Several years ago Todd Buchanan prepared a thesis comparing ArcGIS and Grass [1].

The approach he used could provide a potential framework. It has features of Cameron's structured comparison; Simon's process approach; with a comparison of actual results of algorithm operations based on a control set of data.

I'd like to see the list of features that Todd compared (at Table 13) expanded somewhat to include e.g. functionality related to data capture and maintenance; transformations; reprojections etc etc.

Just a thought.

   --
   Bruce Bannerman

[1] http://www.toddbuchanan.net/thesis_ver.pdf