[OSGeo-Discuss] OGC and OSGeo Sign Memorandum of Understanding

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 7 17:01:11 EST 2009

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Hey Tyler,
>
> I understood from some people/discussions that the individual membership
> can only be used when the individual owns their IP (intellectual
> property). So people working in a company, where the company owns the
> persons IP, would not be able to use this membership.
>
> Is this true, are you able to shed some light on this?

Bart,

I believe the individual members via OSGeo are bound by the normal
limitations on such memberships.  I believe you question about IP
belonging to a company as opposed to the individual roughly describes
the main criteria.

So the individual memberships are primarily useful for hobbiests, and
other independent folks.

> What will be OsGeo's policy for selecting the 6 people?

This isn't worked out in detail, but I believe Arnulf has been selected
as the primary liaison and for the time being would be making the decision
if there are more candidates than slots available.  It may be that this
isn't much of a problem.

Best regards,